Primary BUI Addressed: BUI 14b: Loss of Wildlife Habitat
Fox Unit Property project adds to the network of complex ecosystems that provides critical wildlife habitat near Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge to enhance the coastal wetland corridor. This 40-acre project is located directly across State Route 2 from the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center. The property includes an 8-acre woodlot, which was maintained and enhanced and is the first project for the Friends of the ONWR group.
This project increases critical wildlife habitat around the shores of Lake Erie.
- Reestablish wetland and upland prairie
- Provide habitat for wildlife
- Plant 3.7 acres of native short grass sedge meadow
- Restore 15 acres of native short grass sedge meadow interspersed with scattered trees
- Maintaining and enhancing 11 acres of forest
In 2020, the Fox Unit property was seeded with moist meadow and woodland sedge. This April the Fox Unit Property received a prescribed burn to facilitate the restoration process. An aerial video of the burn can be found here https://youtu.be/b5Pbqh4AYz4. The project is scheduled to be completed by December 2021.